Thursday, April 21, 2011

Lemon Cake...oh please turn out!

April 21, 2001


I was awoken this morning by the sweet song of a lovely bird.  Actually, the truth is, I was awoken by a horribly loud and obnoxious bird singing off-key (or at lest it seemed to me) at 5:45 this morning.  This bird is actually no stranger to me.  He is a cute little red cardinal who comes every spring and sits right outside our bedroom window.  Every morning this bird sings and wakes me up at least an hour before my alarm goes off.  I know it's horrible that I am angry at this bird, but seriously, I love sleeping and I wish he could just wait at least another hour for his performance. 
After trying to "sleep" for the next hour or so, my alarm went off.  I got myself dressed and out the door.  Time for bloodwork at the doctor's office.  There really is no better way to start the day than with a nice needle stick.  Such a great time, I never tire of it.  (I am kidding by the way)

After that, I was on my way home to begin the lemon cake baking extravaganza.  I have actually never made a lemon cake before, so this was a new adventure.  The recipe is a little different in that it calls to slice, boil and then puree the lemons.  Hmmmm, seems fishy to me, but I am sure Martha and her staff know what they are doing.  Usually, I try to make my baked goods a little healthier, but not this time.  I went full-tilt on this buttery, egg-yolky concoction. 

The recipe seemed a little daunting, but it really turned out to be quite easy.  It only took me about 20-25 minutes to get the batter made and in the oven.  The only problem I had was trying to figure out who was going to clean up my mess.  Where is that maid when you need her???

So, as you will see below, the caked turned out fairly well, at least it looked ok.  For me though, this was not a winner.  Perhaps I did something wrong in the method, I'm not sure, but my cake turned out to be pretty dense and not very sweet.  My recommendation to you?  Give this recipe a try and let me know how it turns out for you!!!  Enjoy your lemon cake and Happy Easter!

Simple Lemon Cake
Everyday Food by Martha Stewart, Issue 81

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), room temperature, plus more for pan
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for pan
  • 1/2 pound lemons (about 2), ends removed, cut crosswise into thin slices, and seeds removed
  • Coarse salt
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
  • Raspberries and whipped cream (optional), for serving

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter and flour a 9-inch round cake pan (2 inches deep). In a medium saucepan, cover lemon slices with 3 cups water. Add pinch of salt, cover, and bring to a boil over high. Boil lemons, partially covered, until very tender, 15 minutes. Drain in a colander and transfer to a food processor, along with lemon juice; process until smooth. Set aside.
So far, so good
  1. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter on medium, 2 minutes. Gradually add granulated sugar and continue to beat until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, scraping down bowl as needed. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
  2. With mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with two additions buttermilk. Beat in vanilla, then fold in lemon mixture.
  3. Mix, mix, mix
  4. Transfer batter to pan and bake until deep golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack, 20 minutes. Remove cake from pan and let cool completely on rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve with raspberries and cream, if desired
My masterpiece

3 comments:

  1. Sara, this looks delicious! I love anything lemon. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to try this one this weekend... I need a break from pavlovas. Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. It didn't work out for me... very gummy. I even put it back into the oven for an additional 25 minutes but it still came out wet and strange. Oh well! It was fun trying. Liz

    ReplyDelete