Friday, June 10, 2011

Calling All Choco-holics!


There's something you should know about me.  I LOVE chocolate.  (yes, I did just type the word "love" in all caps in reference to chocolate.)  It is my weakness.  If someone asks me if I want to split a piece of chocolate cake, I don't hesitate to say yes.  I don't necessarily need a lot of it (thanks to years of discipline and because as a dietitian, I am hyper-aware of what's not so good about it), but just a little will turn a good day into a great day!

Now, just so there's no confusion, chocolate isn't all bad.  Maybe you've heard this already, but chocolate (I'm talking about the dark chocolate stuff here), is loaded with cancer-fighting, immune-enhancing, antioxidants.  So feel good about eating  a piece of dark chocolate, but like all things, enjoy in moderation.  

This leads me to the recipe of the day.  Brownies!  Oh my goodness...who doesn't love a rich, warm, decadant brownie?  (Please, if you don't love them, I don't want to know...that is just too sad to believe.)  Anyway, this is another classic recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook.

Of course I can't leave any recipe alone, so I have made a few adjustments.  First, I cut back on the butter.  I use only 1/4 cup and add 2 tablespoons of unsweetened applesauce.  I also cut back on the sugar and use only 3/4 cup.  Lastly, I add about 1/8 teaspoon salt.  I also like to stir in some nuts (using pecans today) and some dark chocolate Ghiradelli chips (oh my!!!!).  

This recipe is so easy...you just need one saucepan and an 8x8 or 9x9 inch pan.  The other great thing about these brownies?  The fact that you know exactly what's in them.  No weird preservatives or other crazy ingredients.  Love that.  

Now you have no excuses...get baking you chocolate lovers! 

Fudgy Brownies
Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter (I used 1/4 cup + 2 Tbs applesauce instead)
3 oz unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup sugar (I used 3/4 cup instead)
2 eggs (you could use egg substitute here if you wanted)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used pecans)
1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips (my addition)

Method:
1. In a medium saucepan melt butter and unsweetened chocolate over low heat, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat; cool.

2. Meanwhile, grease an 8x8x2-inch or 9x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside.  Stir sugar into cooled chocolate mixture into saucepan. (If you are using the applesauce, you can stir it in now).  Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating with a wooden spoon after each addition just until combind.  Stir in vanilla.

3. In a small bowl stir together the flour and baking soda.  Add flour mixture to chocolate mixtre; stir just until combined.  If desired, stir in nuts.  Spread the batter in the prepared pan.

4. Bake in a 350'F oven for 30 minutes for 8-inch pan or 25 minutes for a 9-inch pan.  Cool on a wire rack.

1 comment: