Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Anxious Mom-to-Be

It won't be long until our little one arrives and we are beyond excited!

Personally, I have a little bit of anxiety mixed in with this excitement.  Why you ask, would I feel this way?  Well, let me explain....

As you all know, the journey to get to this point was long, arduous, sad, happy, painful, joyous...a roller coaster of feelings and emotions.  Because of our personal journey, it has made me even more aware of everything during my pregnancy.  This has caused me to question every side effect, every movement of the baby, every non-movement of the baby...everything.  I have never relied so strongly on my faith to get me through something.  I prayed (and still do!) and prayed that our little one would make it this far...and indeed the praying (not just by me) has paid off.

The anxiety also has to do with the fact that I will be a first-time mom!  The thought is just a wee bit scary.  I look at all of the moms I know...my friends, my sisters-in-law, my mother-in-law, my aunts, my grandmas and especially my mom and I am in awe.  They have all done such an amazing job as moms, that frankly, I am a little bit intimidated.  I am so fortunate to know all of these women and am certainly going to be looking to them for guidance.  I hope to be as wonderful of a mom to my child as they all have been to their children.

Along with being a first-time mom is the anxiety that comes with the unknown.  I know it sounds ridiculous, but I am so nervous about everything...pulling a onesie over our little one's head, giving our little one a bath, breastfeeding our little one, changing our little one's diaper, and the list goes on.  We are going to be responsible for another human and that is just out-right crazy!  And wonderful!

Here's the deal though...yes, anxiety is generally a bad thing...but it has given me an opportunity for reflection.  Here is what I do know.  I know that I have an amazing support system around me of friends and family.  I know that I have an absolutely amazing husband who is my ultimate partner in life and soon to be the best father to our little one.  Finally, I know that when our little one comes, my heart will melt and all of my anxieties and fears will be pushed out of the way.  The part of me that has waited all of these years to be a mom will burst out of me and will reassure me that, yes, I can do this....I was in fact, meant for this.

2 comments:

  1. of course you guys can do it! people MUCH, MUCH less capable have raised a baby. :)

    ReplyDelete