Friday, January 20, 2012

It's cold...I want Baked Oatmeal!

Do you have a favorite go-to recipe that you crave when you are seeking something comforting?  I definitely have more than my share...let's see, my mom's infamous (and amazingly delicious) chicken and noodles, pizza (yes, this is also a comfort food for me), warm chocolate brownies....and there's of course many more. 

When I am looking for a breakfast comfort food though, there is one that always hits the spot.  That one is Baked Oatmeal.  It's a recipe that I found years ago in Cooking Light magazine.  In fact, my copy is so worn and yellowed that I am surprised I can still read it.  I know what you're thinking, "I really don't like oatmeal."  Well, first of all, shame on you!  Second of all, I promise that even if you don't like oatmeal, you'll like this.  It's basically an oatmeal souffle loaded with healthy protein (milk and walnuts), fiber and just a touch of sweetness.  I like to bake mine on Sunday and then have it for breakfast in the morning for the rest of the week.  I'll cut myself a little square and top it with some milk and microwave it for about 30-40 seconds.  Yum!!!  I've even taken it to work to have for lunch.  So good...give it a try...it will surely become one of your favorite comfort foods too.

Baked Oatmeal Recipe
Cooking Light Magazine, October 2003

Ingredients:
2 cups uncooked quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar (I don't think you need all of this...maybe just a couple of tablespoons)
1/3 cup raisins (or any dried fruit, Trader Joe's has a yummy dried berry blend that is great for this)
1 tablespoon chopped walnuts (Um, I usually add at least a 1/4 cup, chopped)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 cups fat-free milk (I use 1% organic, but that's just me)
1/2 cup applesauce
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 large egg, beaten
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (not in the original recipe, but it makes it much better!)
Cooking spray
Preparation
  1. Preheat oven to 375°.
  2. Combine the first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl. Combine the milk, applesauce, butter, and egg. Add milk mixture to oat mixture; stir well. Pour oat mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 20 (I think it takes more like 30) minutes. Serve warm.
Serves: 5 (but I think more like 6)

Yup, the good stuff.

Oh my, so much lovliness in one little bowl!

The beauty, in all of its glory!

3 comments:

  1. excellent product placement

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! Thanks for the inspiration! I made this for us on Valentine's day. In the middle, I made a heart out of almonds! It was SO great! Thank you, Sara!

    ReplyDelete