Friday, February 17, 2012

Ways to keep yourself from going crazy this winter...

I personally do not like winter.  This is ironic, considering I live in Chicago and our winters can be quite brutal.  It comes down to the fact that I simply do not like being cold.  Plus, you have to really plan what you're wearing...and not in a fun way.  Walking to the train I need my long, hooded winter coat, scarf, hat, mittens and boots...not to mention my layers of clothing underneath!  So while I am walking to the train I am warm-ish, but when I get on the train I am sweating and ready to rip off all of my layers.  Ahhhh, city life and winter just don't mix. 

So in the spirit of keeping my sanity on these shorter (although they are getting longer finally!), colder days I have found a few things that have helped me survive.  Here they are in no certain order:

1) Read a good book.  Trite advice I guess, but seriously, it's a good idea.  My mom got me Bossypants by Tina Fey and it's hilarious!  It's been fun to "escape" the cold with a funny biography.
2) Buy yourself something for the spring.  Really, do it.  Maybe it's a cute short-sleeve shirt or a fun pair of galoshes...whatever you want...it'll give you something to look forward to.
3) Take a nap.  Yes, I am serious.  In the warmer months you won't want to because there will be so many fun things going on.  In the winter, there's no better place to be than home, wrapped up in a warm blanket, taking a little snooze on your couch.
4) Try that "On Demand" exercise class.  Maybe you just can't get yourself to the gym in this weather, but if you are a sucker like me, you have cable and with that you have "On Demand."  Did you know that besides a million tv shows and movies, they have free exercise videos?  Yup and they're pretty good.  So roll out your yoga mat, put on your stretchy clothes and get ready for some downward dog.
5) Go ahead, buy that cupcake/ice cream cone/cookie.  Yes, I am a dietitian, but I am a person too.  :)  If you don't allow yourself a little sweet treat every good once in awhile you will just be sad (not clinically proven...but for me, it's true). 
6) Try something new.  Maybe now is the time to take that art class or karate lesson.  If you've been wanting to start something, do it now, when you have a little more free time.

By the time your done with all of those things, it'll be spring!  I am looking forward to it, but I will continue to enjoy these little things until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment