Friday, June 8, 2012

Thank you for the seat

As part of life in the big city, I take the train to work everyday.  For some of you, this sounds really cool, even fun (the husband is definitely one of those people).  I am not going to knock public transportation (at least not in this post).  In fact, it's quite awesome to not have to get in a car and try to drive in this crazy city.  The only thing that has made communting this way difficult these days is the large basketball I am carrying on the front of my torso...I mean, my beautiful baby bump!  :)

Many pregnant women have gone before me in this train adventure.  I can picture them now, struggling to find a post to hang-on while the young guy in the suit is sitting and reading his Wall Street Journal. Whatever happened to chivalry?  If I was sitting, I would always be sure to offer my seat to one of these lucky ladies...I mean, it's hard enough to hang on when you're not pregnant.

So, I am now the pregnant lady on the train.  Every day is a test of the kindness of strangers.  Will someone be kind enough to let me rest on the train?  Do they know how unsteady I am these days with my belly protruding outward at full salute?  Do they know how hard it is to just be comfortable?  Or how bad it feels to get smashed against other train-goers, trying to protect my child from getting elbowed?  Riding the train is no easy task.

Ironically, I have noticed a trend in the kind souls who offer up their seat to me.  Who are they?  Well, they are ALWAYS women!  Yes, it doesn't even matter the age.  I have had teenage girls offer up their seats, middle-aged women and even older women.  It is amazing and I am always so appreciative and grateful to them.  So ladies, even though it's annoying to have to get up from your seat, I want you to know, that on behalf of all of us pregnant ladies out there, we think the world of you!!!  A safe and painless ride to work is worth more than you'll ever know.

So, my question is...what about you men out there?  Maybe you should put down your papers, put away your I-Phones and look around every one in awhile to see if anyone else may need a seat.  I haven't lost complete faith in the male species in this respect, but you can be sure I'm still keeping track.  So far, women...you are leading the pack...congratulations!


 

1 comment:

  1. maybe the men are already standing in the area where you are looking. or could it be that the "don't look at anyone" culture of the L makes people focus on their own space?


    p.s. i like my iphone too.

    ReplyDelete