Friday, July 20, 2012

It's kind of a funny thing...pregnancy

In the recent past few months I have had some interesting pregnancy moments.  Every day, especially now that I am showing...I mean REALLY showing, something new/interesting/funny/offensive happens to me.  As I am apparently in the business of sharing my pregnancy experience with you, I feel it is appropriate to let you in on the wonders of being pregnant.

First off, being pregnant opens the door for any and every conversation...whether or not you would like to have it.  A couple of days ago, I was invited into a conversation while waiting in line for the bathroom.  The conversations usually all go the same way...."Oh, how far along are you?"  then "Do you know what you're having?" then "Is this your first?"  Then it usually leads into some story about their personal experience with pregnancy.  I find it quite hilarious and yet, kind of fun (at least most of the time).  Pregnancy is kind of the great denomiator and most women love to talk about it.

Second, people will feel free to tell you what they think of you being pregnant.  Case in point, I walked into a book store and was just looking around when all of the sudden the lady behind the counter yells out, "Woah, you are soooo big!"  Awesome, thanks lady.  Usually there is a lot of staring at the belly and comments/guesses about how far along I am...like it's some kind of game show...guess how far along the pregnant lady is and win a million dollars!  Probably my most favorite comment came from a friend's husband.  He hadn't seen me in awhile and said, "You look great....um, very small and...tight."  Followed by, "I'm sorry, I don't really know what I am supposed to say."  Hilarious! 

Other than experiences with people, there are other interesting things that happen.  For instance, yesterday when I was washing my hands at work, I realized that I had to lean over more than normal to reach the soap...which also meant leaning against the counter and acquiring a huge water stain across my belly.  No way to hide that.  So I proudly took my wet belly back to work.  Also, I have learned that my actual stomach has shrunk to the size of a golf ball.  I get full so fast that it seems hard to believe.  I have become the master of snacking and pack away goodies in bags and purses like a squirrel.  Finally, I've been getting signals from my little one now when she isn't happy...or at least that is what I assume.  For example, if I somehow end up a little too far on my side while sleeping, I'll feel my little one start to squirm and I swear, pound on me.  I can tell already there's a big personality in there. 

So there they are, my most recent experiences with pregnancy.  I wonder what the next few months will hold. 

1 comment:

  1. good hand washing story. when that happens to me during the "thicker" off-season that is winter pastry consumption, I attack the cleansing station standing sideways.

    ReplyDelete