Sunday, July 24, 2011

Cherry Crisp

I was at the Chicago Green City Market and stumbled upon a table advertising cracked cherries.  Being the inquisitive foodie that I am, I had to go and find out about it.  Turns out these cherries were cheaper than thier uncracked brothers and sisters simply because they were cracked and therefore considered not as attractive.  Oh, so sad!  I asked the guy working at the tent if they tasted any different and he reassured me that they were just as tasty. He explained that the only reason they were cracked was because they had gotten too much rain early in the season.  Of course I didn't hesitate to buy a bunch as I knew that in a cherry crisp, it wouldn't matter at all how they looked!

My beautiful cracked cherries.

I have to say, the guy was right.  My cherry crisp was amazing and I am glad I saved a dollar and bought my cracked cherries!

Try this recipe from Better Homes and Gardens and enjoy your cherries...cracked or uncracked!

Cherry Crisp

Ingredients:
5 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened pitted tart red cherries
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup regular rolled oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, ginger or cinnamon
1/4 cup butter (I only used a couple of tablespoons)
1/4 cup chopped nuts

Method:
1. For fruit filling, thaw fruit if frozen.  Do not drain.  Place fruit in a 2-quart square baking dish.  Stir in the granulated sugar and first listed flour.
2. For topping, in a medium bowl combine the oats, brown sugar, flour and nutmeg.  Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Stir in the nuts.  Sprinkle topping over fruit.

Ready for the oven!

3. Bake in a 375'F oven for 30-35 minutes or until fruit is tender and topping is golden. 


All baked and topped with frozen yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment