Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Drinkin' Your Calories

So, I am sitting on the "L" (or elevated train for those of you not familiar with Chicago's train system) on my way into work after an early morning trip to the doctor.  I had my sunglasses on, was daydreaming and trying to mind my own business.  (I've learned this is the best method for remaining inconspicuous on the train).

Ok, so I was trying to mind my own business, but I couldn't help but notice something.  A seat away was a young woman, probably 35 years old.  She was about 30-40 pounds overweight and in her hand was a Wendy's Wild Berry Lemonade, large size, already half consumed (it was only 7:45 in the morning).  Just an FYI:  this large beverage contains 480 calories, 124 grams carbohydrate and 115 grams of sugar! Oh my.

To give you a frame of reference, The American Heart Association (AHA) recommends "limiting the amount of added sugars you consume to no more than half of your daily discretionary calories allowance. For most American women, that’s no more than 100 calories per day, or about 6 teaspoons of sugar. For men, it’s 150 calories per day, or about 9 teaspoons."

This lady had more than met her discretionary calorie allowance for the day and the day had just begun!

The sad thing about this scenario is that it is far more common than not these days.  We are drinking these sugary, non-nutritious beverages in mass quantities.  Is this the reason for the increased number of people with diabetes, obesity and heart disease?  Maybe not solely, but I guarantee that it isn't helping our situation.


Not to get all on my nutrition soap box, but seriously people, do you really need 32 fluid ounces of sugar water? Nope, absolutely not.  Try plain, beautiful, fresh, clean water.  It's an amazingly refreshing and delicious way to stay hydrated.  Add a spritz of citrus and you'll be on your way to healthier, less sugary version of you.

1 comment:

  1. So today, I went to a local coffee shop and wanted to order a small iced unsweetened green tea. Well, let's just say my options were limited and I was in a calorie drinkin' dilemma. The only iced green tea they could offer was presweetened and only came in what I would call a large fountain drink cup. So I had to get iced black tea instead. It was the only unsweetened version, but was still only offered in a massive cup. Whatever. Anyway I though of your post and felt like I was almost forced to drink my calories!

    ReplyDelete