Friday, November 18, 2011

Getting By with a Little Help

Personally, I find it hard to ask for help.  I like people to think that I am cool, calm, collected and that I have everything together.  In fact, most of the time when someone offers to help me, I decline, almost insulted that they would even think that I need help.  That's messed up, right?  Maybe it has something to do with trying to prove myself all of these years...perhaps it's my pride that gets in the way...I'm not sure.

When it comes to my infertility journey however, I knew that I needed some help.  Our minds are amazing...always in motion...always churning out crazy thoughts...and I swear that as women, our brains work over-time.  So, when I found out about my infertility, I knew I would need some support. 

I knew that some people have really benefitted from talking things out and I felt that I might benefit too.  I did some research and found a wonderful therapist.  She even specializes in infertility.  It's a relief to have an outlet for talking about my infertility journey.  Friends and family are great, but they don't need to be burdened by all of this and they don't always know what to say.  As weird as it may sound, I look forward to seeing my therapist, because I know that after I leave, I will have some good advice to take with me.  Not only that, but I always leave feeling a little lighter and a little more hopeful. 

Here's my advice to you.  If you are having any troubles in your own life, seek help.  It's not a sign of weakness.  In fact, in my opinion, it's a sign of strength.  Everybody's journey in life is different and sometimes we need a little help in getting through it all.

1 comment: