Friday, December 23, 2011

Cookies everywhere!

Madness!  That's exactly what it's been like around here.  Between Christmas shopping, work, and hanging out with friends, it's actually quite amazing that I accomplished my ultimate goal of the season...cookie baking!  Yes, I am one of those crazy women who bakes batches and batches of Christmas cookies.

Ironically, I don't even remember when I started doing this.  It used to be a small production...just a handful of cookies for a handful of friends and family.  Now I've got over 20 people on my list and this year I have made over 500 cookies!  Insanity.  The funny thing about it is that the size of my kitchen has not changed...so I am still baking all of these cookies in my small, 2 feet of counter space, single gas oven, kitchen.  And don't think for second there's any room in my freezer...let's just say it's jammed with Christmas love.

Why do I do this?  Initially, I would say it's because I am crazy.  I mean, I have gone through POUNDS of butter!  Me, a dietitian...going through pounds of butter.  Hilarious!  If given a little more time to answer, I guess I would say it's because I love it.  I find great joy in researching the chosen cookies and of course, baking them.  Also because there's nothing better than giving the handmade gift of yummy, homemade cookies. 

So, as I am icing my last batch of cookies, I am smiling because I can't wait to get these things to their rightful owners! 

Merry Christmas to all!
Martha makes Christmas cookies too!
(image from good housekeeping)

2 comments:

  1. I just read this! And may I say, we who receive the bounty of your efforts are most grateful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 500 Cookies!!! I had no idea that you make that many!! The cookies were absolutely delicious!!!
    My favorite are the sugar cookies with white chocolate and orange zest! But of course, we could eat your cookies all day long:) You are the official cookie making champ! Thanks:)
    B

    ReplyDelete