Friday, May 6, 2011

Cookies You can Sort of Feel Good About

May 6, 2011
Truly sensible and delicious! Thank you Toll House!

Did the picture of the cookies get your attention?  I sure hope that it did.  I am a huge fan of taking something unhealthy, and finding a way to make it a little bit healthier.  Hard to believe, I know.  Seriously, this is a curse and a blessing.  I find it nearly impossible to bake anything without making healthy modifications.  Less oil or sugar, fewer eggs....what can I get away with?  Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't, but it's always worth a shot.

Luckily, Toll House has saved me some of the grunt work with their Sensibly Delicous Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe.  These cookies are quite good.  In fact, I make these for my husband to put in his lunch.  Yes, that seems very "Suzy Homemaker" of me, but they are way better for him than those processed packaged ones. No, these aren't good for you, but definitely healthier.  Everyone deserves a little sweet treat now and again, right? 

I usually make a few modifications to this recipe.  First, I swap out some all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour.  If you are scared to try half AP and half whole wheat like I did, start by substituting smaller amounts.  Try using half a cup first and see how you like it.  The next thing I do is use less sugar.  Who needs it when you're adding all of the fun chocolate chips and other goodies?  Third, I use butter in my cookies.  Margarine is just plain weird and I am not a fan.  Go with butter, trust me.  Lastly, I use a whole egg instead of 2 egg whites.  You can certainly do either, but I like just cracking one egg.  You'll be adding a little more fat and cholesterol by using the whole egg, but considering it makes 5 dozen cookies, it's really not a big deal. 

Next time you're making cookies, why not give this recipe a shot?  They really are delicious and are perfect crumbled on top of some frozen yogurt!

Sensibly Delicious Chocolate Chip Cookies
Nestle Toll House Best-Loved Cookies Cookbook
Ingredients
3 cups all-purpose flour (I use 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour and 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour)
1 ½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 ¼ cups packed dark brown sugar (I use 1 cup)
½ cup margarine, softened (I use butter instead of margarine…butter IS better!)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large egg whites (I use 1 whole egg instead of 2 whites)
1/3 cup water
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate morsels (I use whatever I have in my cabinet…M&M’s Reese’s Pieces, etc)

Method
1.       Combine flour (both kinds if using my recommendation), baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. 
2.       Beat together brown sugar, granulated sugar, butter and vanilla extract in a large mixer bowl.
Yes, that's butter in there!
3.       Beat in egg whites (egg). 
4.       Gradually beat in flour mixture alternately with water.  Stir in morsels and nuts.


All the goodies...M&M's, chocolate chips and Reese's PB Cups

5.       Drop by rounded tablespoons onto lightly greased baking sheets.

The amazing cookie scooper!

6.       Bake in preheated 350’F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until centers are set.
7.       Let stand for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

Makes about 5 dozen cookies


No comments:

Post a Comment