Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Zucchini, the Greek way

May 11, 2011

Yes, believe it or not I am posting a recipe that is not a cookie, cake, pie, or other pastry recipe. I know, I have been on a serious baking binge, but I promise you that my husband and I do not subsist on baked goods alone...although I've often pondered if I could....   

I am always looking for inspiration for our evening meals and came across this recipe in the April 2011 issue of Bon Appetit.  I love zucchini, I really do.  So many people bash it, but in my mind, it is like a nice, blank canvas.  Think about it...you can make quick breads out of it (ever heard of zucchini bread?), you can roast it and you can even make these little zucchini fritters from it!  Amazing.  So versatile...so stop bashing it.  Seriously, it's inexpensive, low in calories, a decent source of Vitamin C, and even provides a little Vitamin A and fiber.  Good job zucchini!

The next time you have a surplus of  zucchini at your house, I recommend trying this recipe.  It is a wee bit time-consuming, but I think it's something fun to try.  I only made two modifications to this one.  First, I added a little bit of salt (about 1/2 a tsp of Kosher salt) to the mix.  The feta provides some salt, but not really enough to highlight all of those fresh herbs.  The other change?  Well, I completely ignored the idea of shallow pan frying as the recipe suggests  Instead, I found that I could easily saute these in a non-stick pan.  Much healthier and not as greasy. 

Good luck and let me know if you like them!

Zucchini Keftedes with Feta and Dill
Bon Appétit | April 2011
by Michael Symon
Yield: Makes 12 servings
Ingredients:
1 1/3 pounds medium zucchini, trimmed
1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
1 cup panko (japanese breadcrumbs)
1 large egg, beaten to blend
1 cup coarsely crumbled feta cheese
Canola oil (for frying)
Plain whole-milk or reduced-fat Greek-style yogurt (for garnish)
Additional chopped fresh dill (for garnish)
Preparation:
Grate zucchini on large holes of box grater onto clean kitchen towel. Sprinkle zucchini with 1 teaspoon coarse salt; let stand at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour.

My zucchini - sweatin' it out

Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment or foil. Wrap zucchini in towel; squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Place zucchini in medium bowl. Mix in green onions, 3 tablespoons chopped dill, mint, garlic, lemon peel, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.

Mint, dill and green onions

All chopped up with some lemon zest

Gently stir in panko and egg, then feta. Using 2 tablespoons zucchini mixture for each, shape mixture into 1 3/4- to 2-inch-diameter patty; place on baking sheet. Chill at least 1 hour. DO AHEAD: can be made 4 hours ahead. Keep chilled.

Pour enough canola oil into heavy large skillet to reach depth of 1/4 inch; heat over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add patties to skillet. Cook until golden and cooked through, adjusting heat if browning too quickly, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Using slotted metal spoon, transfer to paper towels.  (To keep things a bit lighter, I only used about 1 tablespoon of olive oil to lightly sauté these in a non-stick skillet.  No need for all of that extra fat and calories!)
Arrange keftedes on platter. Top each with dollop of yogurt. Sprinkle each with dill. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Yum, now it's time to eat them.


No comments:

Post a Comment