Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Television Taught me Something.....

May 3, 2011

I must admit, I have a few television shows that I love.  My current favorites include House, The Office, Bethanny Ever After and Real Housewives (I like Miami and New York personally).  To round things out, I also like Desperate Housewives.  I'm not sure if that really rounds things out or not, but it seems to in my mind.  :)

I happened to turn on the DVR the other day and realized that I needed to catch up on Desperate Housewives.  I sort of turned it on to have background noise as I was getting some chores done around the apartment.  During one point, I sat down to eat some lunch and encountered an interesting conversation between two characaters on the show.  I have never felt the need to write anything down that I have heard on any television program, let alone, of all programs, Desperate Housewives, but I did and here is what I wrote down....

"Looking at what has been taken from us is a bad way to go through life.  Looking for what we can give to others is far better."

Wow!  What a lesson to learn from a sitcom! We spend so much time thinking about the bad and why we don't have what we want.  I truly believe this is human nature...especially for us Americans.  However, maybe we should also think about the gifts we have that we can share with others. 

I totally get having pity parties...I throw them for myself all of the time.  Speaking from experience though, my pity parties don't provide the same resulting satisfaction as when I've been able to help a friend, family member, or even stranger. 

So the next time you get invited to your own private pity party, RSVP "no."  Take that time instead, to be grateful for all of the positive things in your life and put your energy towards those things.  I realize that this is no easy task, but I have a feeling you'll agree that it's worth it.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Should be on a pillow! Keep all this goodness coming! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete