Thursday, September 1, 2011

Things that Make you go Hmmmm....

Maybe I am dating myself here, but does anyone remember that song from the 90's by C and C Music Factory called "Things That Make You Go Hmmmm?"  The song was catchy and I believe, a Billboard Top 20 (or at least from what I remember) hit. The words aren't super-meaningful, but the name of the song is certainly catchy.  It recently came to mind because, well, at least once a day here in Chicago I see things that make me go hmmmm....

(Disclaimer: So, if you haven't figured it out yet, this is not a serious post.  You are not going to learn anything from this one, so don't even try to.  Just wanted to prepare you ahead of time.)

Here they are, in no certain order, the things I have recently experienced in Chicago that make me go hmmmmm....

1) Walking behind an extremely buff man in business pants and a wife beater, smoking a cigarette and chugging coffee on a 95 degree day. 

2) A tattoo on a woman's neck (Really? I know that had to hurt!).   A tattoo of a credit card number on a woman's ankle (Not sure I get that one).  Full appendage tattoos.  Hmmmm.... Ok, I'll stop, because this one could go on forever.

3) That really weird smell as you step onto a Red Line El Train...a distinct, piquant smell...a cross between body odor, a hot trash can and a dead mouse. 

4) Bacon...EVERYWHERE!  Why?  It's delicious, but everything in moderation...come on people. 

5) Socks and sandals...yes, I see this here in Chicago...even I know this is a fashion faux pas!

6) Massive horse-sized dogs living (with their owners) in small Chicago apartments.

7) A "stop ahead" sign posted about 1 block from the stop sign itself...not a big deal, except the "stop ahead" sign is about about 12 feet off the ground (high!) and completely covered by trees.  So helpful, don't you think?

8) Pancake Sausage Bites...google it.

9) Angry argument between neighbors regarding placement of trash cans in the alley.  The problem?  The trash cans were in the way of getting his large SUV in and out of his garage.  So sad.  (Did I mention that I don't even have a garage???)

10) Leftover Christmas decorations still adorning homes in July.


What makes you go hmmmm????

1 comment:

  1. Today while driving to pick Madeleine up from preschool, I saw a girl walking down the street holding what looked like vending machine style snacks in each hand and two more treats tucked into each boob of her tank top. Could have been chips or candy bars. You can guess my reaction. More than hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete