Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween to you!


For as long as I can remember Halloween has been my favorite holiday.  This has long baffled many of my friends and family.  "What?  Halloween is your favorite holiday?  Not Christmas?"  Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas too, but there's just always been something about Halloween...

Maybe it's the costumes...black cat, witch, cowgirl, cheerleader, doctor...every year I anticipated what I was going to be.  No matter what though, it had to be cute.  I was never one of those girls who wanted scary face paint or a weird mask.  Nope, I wanted to be a cute version of everything...probably because I was totally awkward looking enough on my own (with acne and braces)!

Maybe it's the anticipation...carving the pumpkins, decorating the house, watching "The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown," or standing in the vast candy aisle at Target trying to decide which bag of sugar I am going to choose to rot my teeth...

Speaking of candy...I have a feeling candy is near the very top of the list on why I love Halloween so much.  Evidence of this love dates back to my early trick-or-treating days.  My dad would take my brother and me out Halloween night.  Usually he would carry around his mug of coffee and freeze while we would run from house to house ringing doorbells and collecting candy and other weird things our neighbors thought were great (combs? homemade popcorn balls? black licorice?).  About an hour into the process, my brother would get bored and want to go home.  My reaction?  "Are you serious?!  No WAY am I going home!"  So, we would usually walk my brother back home and my dad and I would journey back into the night.  Every so often, my Dad would say "I think it's time we headed back home."  I would respond with, "Just one more house Dad!"  Of course he let me go to a few more.  We would head back home and sometimes make it back without eating any of the candy....but not usually.  Once we got home I would pour my candy out onto the floor with my brother. (My collection was of course 3 times bigger than his!)  My parents would sort of check it (nice effort guys!) and then it was time to enjoy!!!  My dad usually took a few boxes of Milk Duds (his favorite) and my mom was always searching for Snickers bars (her favorite).  I had plenty to go around...except when it came to my brother.  :)

Hmmmm, so maybe it's not the candy exactly.  Maybe it's just the wonderful memories that I have from all of my Halloween's past.  Thank you Dad for staying out with me and being my favorite Trick-or-Treat partner!  Thank you to my brother who would at least humor me for a little while during our mad dash throughout the neighborhood Halloween night.  Thank you Mom for always letting me be whatever I wanted for Halloween...the cute version!!!  I love all of you and I cherish these memories so much!!!!

Happy Halloween to you and I wish you a day full of memory making!!!

1 comment: