Sunday, August 28, 2011

Make Your Own Granola

I know what you're thinking..."why would I make granola when I can buy it?"  Well, I would actually respond to that question with the question..."why would you BUY granola when you can make it?" 

Ok, so I am not trying to be all high and mighty here because I am just now figuring this one out.  Honestly, I can't believe it's taken me this long to realize how easy it is to make your own granola.  Well, maybe I realized it, but just never really felt like making it until....

I was making my grocery list (this is a necessity to ensure items such as flavored sparkling water or olives from the olive bar don't end up in my cart) and asked my husband if he needed anything from the store.  He gave me his usual list...apples, bread, turkey, carrots (I know, so healthy, isn't he?  I am so proud of him!) and granola.

Granola?  Hmmmm..."why do I keep buying that?" I thought to myself.  So, coyly I asked him, "what do you think of me making your granola?"  Well, you would've thought I had asked him what he thought of spreadsheets (he loves spreadsheets by the way)!  He heartily agreed to this plan and so here I am...making granola.

I used Martha Stewart's Honey Pecan Granola as a base and it turned out beautifully.  I added some wheat germ as well as some sunflower seeds and cinnamon.  After the baking was done, I tossed in some raisins.  The great part of this recipe?  You can add as many ingredients as you want.  Lovely!!!  Try some pumpkin seeds and use pumpkin pie spice instead.  Or add other dried fruits like mango, pineapple, cranberries, etc.  The options are endless. 

Time for you to go make your own batch!

Honey Pecan Granola (Martha Stewart)

Ingredients:
3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1 1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
3 Tb butter (this isn't 100% neccesary, but does provide some good flavor)
1/3 cup honey (the better the honey you use, the better it will taste)
1/2 tsp salt

Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 300'F.
2. Toss all ingredients together.  Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet and spread in an even layer.
3. Bake 30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
4. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment