Sunday, August 14, 2011

Zucchini Bundt Cake with Orange Glaze

Guilty as charged...yes, it's true, I am a Martha Stewart fan.  When I had the opportunity to receive her magazine for a small fee, I didn't think twice about it...sign me up!!!

The magazine is more pretty pictures and ideas for things that I'll never do (decorate a lamp shade, make my own soap, build a birdhouse???  Really???  Who has time for that?), but occasionally there are some great articles and recipes. 

In the August 2011 issue there was a beautiful picture of a Zucchini Bundt Cake.  So pretty!!!  I want one!!!  So, of course, I had to make it. 

A few things I did to make it a wee bit healthier: 1) I didn't use the full stick and a half of butter.  I actually used about 4 tablespoons butter and then added about 3 tablespoons of Greek yogurt.  I used pan spray instead of butter to prepare my pan too.  2) I didn't use all of that sugar...probably closer to 1 1/4 cup.  3) I added vanilla extract...about 1 teaspoon.  4) I added way more orange zest in both the cake and the glaze.

Overall, I would say it turned out pretty well.  Next time I will add a little bit of applesauce (to replace some of that butter) and perhaps some more vanilla and cinnamon. 

So....glossy...yes, indeed.
Zucchini Bundt Cake with Orange Glaze
From: Martha Stewart Living Magazine, August 2011
Ingredients:
1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon anise seeds
1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
Coarse salt
2 medium zucchini (about 8 ounces each)
3 large eggs
1 ½ cup sugar
½ teaspoon grated orange zest, plus 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
1 ¼ cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
2 pinched ground cardamom (optional)
¼ teaspoon finely grated orange zest, plus 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
Whole milk, as needed for thinning

Method:

1.       Preheat oven to 325’F. Brush a 6-cup Bundt pan with butter, and dust with flour, tapping out excess.  Whisk together flour, baking powder, spices, and 1 teaspoon salt. 
2.       Grate zucchini on the large holes of a box grater, then squeeze dry in a clean kitchen towel or press in a ricer. (You will need 2.5 cups)
3.       Stir together eggs and sugar, then stir in melted butter, zucchini, and orange zest and juice.  Stir in flour mixture.  Transfer batter to pan.
4.       Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour.  Transfer pan to a wire rack, and let cake cool for 10 minutes.  Run a paring knife around edges of cake to loosen, and turn out onto wire rack.  Let cool for at least 30 minutes.
5.       To make the glaze: whisk together confectioners’ sugar and cardamom.  Whisk in remaining orange zest and juice, and whisk until mixture has the consistency of thick honey.  If mixture is too thick, whisk in milk, 1 teaspoon at a time.
6.       Brush several layers of orange glaze evenly over cake.

1 comment:

  1. Sara,

    I wanted to let you know how exciting it is to find your blog. I found out yesterday that I am infertile and was glazed over looking at facebook when I found your post on door to door organics facebook - it was a great day to look at your interests and mine and see that they are so similar. Thanks for your blog!

    ReplyDelete